When Werth Gets Hots, He Gets Hot
It always seemed like it, anyway, but I never really knew for sure. He hit a another home run last night in a 12-3 victory over the Diamondbacks. He has hit .368 (7-for-19) with five homers and seven RBIs in the past five games.
But does the man really hit homers in bunches or is it just me? Yes, he does:
- He hit .471 (8-for-17) with four homers and 10 RBIs in five games from May 4-8.
- He hit .364 (8-for-22) with four homers and eight RBIs in five games from June 13-18.
- He hit .318 (7-for-22) with five homers and 11 RBIs in seven games from July 3-9, which helped him earn his first National League All-Star selection.
- And then there is this current streak. He has hit a combined .376 (30-for-80) with 18 homers and 36 RBIs in those four streaks, which lasted a combined 22 games.
In 2008, when he wrestled the everyday job in right field from Geoff Jenkins, he also had similar tears:
- He hit .391 (9-for-23) with four homers and six RBIs in five games from April 21-25.
- He hit .471 (8-for-17) with four homers and eight RBIs in five games from Aug. 27-31.
- He hit .250 (4-for-16) with three homers and four RBIs in five games from July 24-31.
“If I could figure that out, there’d be nothing but bunches,” Werth said. “I hate to say it, but they come in bunches. Sometimes you feel good. Sometimes your swing is good. And there’s the opposite side of the coin, too. You take it while you can get it and hold onto it for as long as you can.”
Werth is hitting .270 with 28 home runs and 76 RBIs this season, putting him on pace to finish with a career-high 38 home runs and 105 RBIs.
“I feel good,” Werth said. “I probably feel the best I’ve felt in my career, as far as hitting and comfort and all that stuff.”
The only problem with Werth’s streak? It coincides with Ryan Howard‘s streak. Howard is hitting .366 (15-for-41) with six homers and 19 RBIs in his past 11 games. He seems to be taking away a few RBI opportunities from Werth.
Phillies pitchers did not walk one batter in the three-game series against the Diamondbacks. They got six hits. When is the last time that happened?