Number 9, Number 9, Number 9 …
Domonic Brown makes his big-league debut, and he will be wearing No. 9.
Let’s take a look at some No. 9 facts in Phillies history:
- Player to wear No. 9 the longest: Von Hayes, nine seasons (1983-91).
- Player to wear No. 9 the second longest: Mike Ryan, six seasons (1968-73).
- Player to wear No. 9 the third longest: Tomas Perez, five seasons (2001-05).
- Most popular No. 9: Manny Trillo (1979-82).
- Most players to wear No. 9 in one season: Three in 1959 (John Easton, Saul Rogovin and Earl Torgeson) and 1941 (Gene Lambert, Hal Marnie and Bill Nagel).
- Funniest player to wear No. 9: Bob Uecker in 1966-67.
- Only player to wear No. 9 and have his named mentioned in The Wire: Gus Triandos (1964-65).
- Best names: Putsy Caballero (1949) and Nippy Jones (1952).
- Guy with the saddest nickname: Hugh “Losing Pitcher” Mulcahy (1939-40).
- Guy who sounds like he might have owned a yacht: Merv Shea (1944).
- I could have bought his jersey: Al Todd (1932).
- Last 10 players to wear No. 9: Miguel Cairo (2009), Chris Snelling (2008), Tadahito Iguchi (2008), Michael Bourn (2006-07), Perez (2001-05), David Newhan (2001), Pete Incaviglia (1996), Tom Marsh (1992), Dale Sveum (1992) and Hayes (1983-91).
All thanks to Baseball-Reference.com, who has the numbers.