Halladay Gets His 20th
Roy Halladay won his 20th game tonight at Citizens Bank Park.
Let’s take a look at that accomplishment, shall we?
- He is the first Phillies pitcher to win 20 games since Steve Carlton went 23-11 in 1982.
- He is the first Phillies right-hander to win 20 games since Robin Roberts went 23-14 in 1955.
- He is just the fourth Phillies pitcher to win 20 games since 1917 (Carlton, Roberts and Chris Short are the others).
- Pitchers won 20 games 98 times between Carlton in ’82 and Halladay in ’10. It is a list that includes names like Bob Welch, who won 27 games in 1990 — the most wins of any pitcher between Carlton and Halladay. It is a list that includes names like Roger Clemens, Dwight Gooden, LaMarr Hoyt, Frank Viola, John Burkett, Rich Dotson, Ron Guidry, Matt Morris, Joaquin Andujar, Jose Lima …
- Phillies pitchers won 20 games 49 times, 25 of them happening from 1883 to 1899. The overall list includes names like Grover Cleveland Alexander, Kid Gleason, Wiley Piatt, Duke Esper, Togie Pittinger and Tully Sparks. (No, I had never heard of Wiatt, Esper, Pittinger or Sparks, either.)