Phillies Add Five Players to 40-Man Roster
- Right-hander Justin De Fratus. De Fratus, an 11th-round selection in the 2007 draft, split the season between single-A Clearwater and double-A Reading. In a career-high 49 games, the 23-year-old went 3-0 with 21 saves and a 1.94 ERA. He held opposing hitters to a .208 average and struck out 71 batters in 65.0 innings. In the Arizona Fall League, De Fratus threw 7.0 scoreless innings for the Mesa Solar Sox with one save and 11 strikeouts, earning him a selection to the AFL Rising Stars Game.
- Shortstop Freddy Galvis. Galvis, who just turned 21 last Sunday, spent this past season with Reading. He led all Eastern League shortstops with a .982 fielding percentage in 2010, committing just 11 errors in 624 total chances. In 138 games, the switch-hitting Galvis batted .233 with five home runs, 48 RBI and 16 stolen bases. He was originally signed by the Phillies as an amateur free agent in 2006.
- Second baseman Harold Garcia. Garcia, a 24-year-old second baseman, split the season between Clearwater and Reading. In July, he broke a 59-year-old Florida State League record by hitting safely in 37 consecutive games. Signed as an amateur free agent in 2004, the Venezuelan native hit .305 this season with eight home runs, 64 RBI and 29 stolen bases in 101 combined games.
- Second baesman Cesar Hernandez. Hernandez, a switch-hitting second baseman, spent the entire season with single-A Williamsport. In 65 games with the Crosscutters, the 20-year-old batted .325 with 23 RBI and 32 stolen bases. Hernandez was originally signed by the Phillies as an amateur free agent in 2006 out of Valencia, Venezuela.
- Infielder Matt Rizzotti. Rizzotti, 24, played at three different levels last season (Clearwater, Reading, and triple-A Lehigh Valley). A sixth-round selection in the 2007 draft, Rizzotti led the entire organization with a .343 average and slugged 36 doubles, 17 home runs and 76 RBI in 125 combined games. The first baseman was elected to both the midseason and postseason Eastern League All-Star teams, was named the Phillies Minor League Player of the Month for May and earned Eastern League Player of the Month honors for June. Rizzotti also batted .333 with 12 RBI in 19 games for the Mesa Solar Sox in the Arizona Fall League.
The Phillies now have 40 players on the 40-man roster.
Notables not protected for the Rule 5 Draft include Joe Savery, D’Arby Myers and Tuffy Gosewisch. It was not surprising they were not added.
I’ve got a new Facebook page, where I’ll post stories, blogs, thoughts, etc. Check it out here.