Rarity: Howard Intentionally Walked, Phillies Get A Hit
Something unusual happened this afternoon when Braves right-hander Brandon Beachy intentionally walked Ryan Howard in the first inning at Turner Field.
The next Phillies batter got a hit.
Ben Francisco singled to left field to score Shane Victorino to give the Phillies a 1-0 lead. It snapped a streak of 21 consecutive plate appearances without a hit following a Howard intentional walk. The last hit came Sept. 14, 2008, when Pat Burrell (aka The Machine) singled against Milwaukee Brewers left-hander Brian Shouse to score a run.
The Phillies were 0 for 16 with 10 strikeouts, two walks, one hit by pitch, two sacrifice flies and four RBIs in the 21 plate appearances since. Seven different Phillies hitters followed Howard:
- Jayson Werth (0 for 10, five strikeouts, walk, hit by pitch, two RBIs).
- Jimmy Rollins (0 for 0, sacrifice fly, RBI).
- Ben Francisco (0 for 1).
- Raul Ibanez (0 for 2, two strikeouts, walk, sacrifice fly, RBI).
- John Mayberry Jr. (0 for 1, strikeout).
- Pat Burrell (0 for 1, strikeout).
- Eric Bruntlett (0 for 1, strikeout).
(Props to Matt Gelb, who originated this wonderful, wonderful idea.)