Lee’s Night: KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Cliff Lee struck out 16 batters tonight in a 5-0 loss to the Braves.
A few things about his night:
- He set a career-high in strikeouts. He had a career-high 13 strikeouts July 27 last season against Oakland.
- They are the most strikeouts by a Phillies pitcher since Curt Schilling struck out 16 Yankees on Sept. 1, 1997.
- They tied Steve Carlton for the most strikeouts by a left-handed pitcher in a nine-inning game in Phillies history. (Left-hander Chris Short struck out 18 Mets in 15 innings Oct. 2, 1965.)
- Lee’s 16 strikeouts are the most by a pitcher in a big-league game this season. (Jared Weaver had 15 against the Blue Jays on April 10.)
- It was Lee’s 13th double-digit strikeout game, and his fifth with the Phillies.
- It was the 12th time he has struck out 10 or more batters with one or fewer walks. (Lee walked one tonight.)
- He has 10 double-digit strikeout games since the beginning of the 2010 season, which ties him with Tim Lincecum for the most in the big leagues in that span.
The bad news for Lee? The Phillies have scored one run in his last three starts.