Lee Puts Up Zeroes
Cliff Lee threw his fifth shutout of the season last night at AT&T Park. If that seems like a lot, it is. He is one of just four pitchers since 1998 to throw five or more shutouts in a season:
- A.J. Burnett: five in 2002.
- Dontrelle Willis: five in 2005.
- CC Sabathia: five in 2008.
If Lee can throw one more shutout before the end of the season, he would be just the 12th pitcher in the last 30 seasons to throw six or more shutouts:
- John Tudor: 10 in 1985.
- Tim Belcher: eight in 1989.
- Roger Clemens: eight in 1988.
- Dwight Gooden: eight in 1985.
- Orel Hershiser: eight in 1988.
- Roger Clemens: seven in 1987.
- Steve Carlton: six in 1982.
- Danny Jackson: six in 1988.
- Randy Johnson: six in 1998.
- Tim Leary: six in 1988.
- Jack Morris: six in 1986.