A Possible NLDS Roster
The Phillies said today they’re probably going to carry 11 pitchers on their postseason roster.
They’ve informed Domonic Brown, right-hander Justin De Fratus and left-hander Joe Savery they will be in instructional league during the postseason to stay sharp in case they are needed. Right-hander Michael Schwimer and outfielder Brandon Moss will head home after the season’s finale Wednesday. Catcher Erik Kratz could travel with the team, but that has not been decided.
Here’s a look at my projected 25-man NLDS roster:
- Catchers (2): Carlos Ruiz and Brian Schneider.
- Infielders (7): Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, Ross Gload, Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez.
- Outfielders (5): Raul Ibanez, Shane Victorino, Hunter Pence, John Mayberry Jr. and Ben Francisco.
- Starters (4): Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt.
- Relievers: (7): Ryan Madson, Brad Lidge, Antonio Bastardo, Mike Stutes, Vance Worley and Kyle Kendrick with David Herndon or Joe Blanton taking up the final spot.
No surprises here among the 14 position players. Blanton has worked his way into the conversation to earn a bullpen spot. If he pitches well this week in Atlanta that could make the decision a little more difficult for the Phillies as Herndon has a 1.99 ERA in 33 appearances since April.
Pete Orr and John Bowker would have a shot to make the roster if the Phillies carried 10 pitchers, but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen.