Guess the Opening Day Roster
Here are the players that look like locks:
- CATCHER (2): Carlos Ruiz and Brian Schneider.
- INFIELDER (5): Jimmy Rollins, Placido Polanco, Freddy Galvis, Ty Wigginton, Jim Thome.
- OUTFIELDER (4): Hunter Pence, Shane Victorino, John Mayberry Jr., Laynce Nix.
- STARTING PITCHERS (5): Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Vance Worley, Joe Blanton.
- RELIEF PITCHERS (6): Jonathan Papelbon, Jose Contreras, Antonio Bastardo, Chad Qualls, Kyle Kendrick, Mike Stutes.
That leaves three spots for the 25-man roster.
The Phillies still need a fifth outfielder, and we’ll have an answer soon. The Phillies must let Juan Pierre know by tomorrow if he’s making the team. If he doesn’t make the team Scott Podsednik is expected to be the team’s fifth outfielder.
The Phillies need a utility infielder and unless they find somebody outside the organization it looks like Pete Orr.
If the Phillies carry 11 pitchers, they can have an extra bat for the bench. Luis Montanez and Hector Luna are in that mix because the Phillies could use another right-handed bat. If the Phllies decide to carry 12 pitchers, right-hander David Herndon and left-hander Raul Valdez or Joe Savery have a shot.
Jim Salisbury and I co-authored the book The Rotation, which is now available. Check it out here!
Here are our upcoming book signings:
- April 2: Barnes & Noble in Plymouth Meeting, PA, 7 p.m.
- April 3: Chester County Book Company in West Chester, PA, 7 p.m.
- April 26: Barnes & Noble in Marlton, NJ, 7 p.m.