The Phillies’ Opening Day roster
Here it is:
- Rotation (5): Cole Hamels, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Kyle Kendrick and John Lannan.
- Bullpen (7): Jonathan Papelbon, Mike Adams, Antonio Bastardo, Chad Durbin, Phillippe Aumont, Jeremy Horst and Raul Valdes.
- Catchers (2): Erik Kratz and Humberto Quintero.
- Infielders (6): Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Michael Young, Kevin Frandsen and Freddy Galvis.
- Outfielders (5): Ben Revere, Domonic Brown, John Mayberry Jr., Laynce Nix and Ender Inciarte.
The Phillies reassigned Pete Orr, Steven Lerud and Zach Miner to the minor leagues. Mike Stutes optioned. Delmon Young placed on the DL, retroactive to March 22 (right ankle surgery).
I don’t see any surprises here. The Phillies had been looking for help in the outfield, but they will stick with Inciarte for the moment. I suspect Delmon Young will replace him on the roster whenever he is ready to be activated. That could come before the end of April. Aumont, Horst and Valdes became the frontrunners for the final three bullpen jobs in recent weeks. The Phillies think Stutes needs to go to Triple-A and pitch after missing most of last season because of an injured right shoulder. Lerud pushed Quintero for the backup catcher’s job, but I thought they’d go with Quintero’s experience in the end, which they did.