A Look Back at April
A few more things about the Phillies’ April:
- The Phillies averaged 10.19 strikeouts per nine innings (245 strikeouts in 216 1/3 innings), which is a MLB record. In fact, the Phillies became only the second team in baseball history to average more than 10 strikeouts per nine innings in a month (excluding March and October). The Tigers averaged 10.27 strikeouts per nine innings in Sept. 2013.
- Odubel Herrera reached base safely 48 times in April, which is the most by a Phillies player since Placido Polanco (51) in April 2011. Herrera’s .462 on-base percentage is the highest since Aaron Rowand‘s .462 OBP in April 2007. Herrera’s OBP rannks third in MLB.
- Freddy Galvis has four-game winning RBIs this season. Only the Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo (five) and the Mets’ Neil Walker (five) has more.
- Aaron Nola, Vince Velasquez and Jerad Eickhoff ranks among the top 20 pitchers in baseball in strikeouts.
- Jeanmar Gomez is 8-for-8 in save opportunities. Only the Dodgers’ Kenley Jansen (nine) has saved more games.
- Ryan Howard‘s average exit velocity is 94.7 mph, which is tied for eighth in MLB.
- The Phillies are 28th in on-base percentage (.292), 25th in slugging percentage (.370) and 28th in OPS (.662).
- They are tied for 26th averaging 3.33 runs per game.
- The Phillies have made 12 outs on the bases, which are the fourth-most in baseball.
- They have stolen just 10 of 19 bases. Their 53 stolen base percentage is the fourth-lowest in baseball.