The Phillies once touted Larry Greene as a big-time power hitter and a “man amongst young men.”
But Monday they confirmed a PhoulBallz.com report that Greene does not want to play baseball anymore and will not be in Spring Training. The Phillies gave Greene a $1 million signing bonus as the 39th overall pick in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, but he never played above Class A Lakewood in four mediocre Minor League seasons.
“I’m more disappointed for him,” Phillies player development director Joe Jordan said. “I’d be disappointed if it was a 20th round pick, but this is a different situation.”
The Phillies never heard from Greene as Spring Training approached. He finally informed them that he had no plans to attend camp. It certainly sounds like his baseball career is finished, but Jordan would not say Greene has officially quit or retired.
Greene, 22, hit a combined .224 with eight home runs, 74 RBIs and a .638 OPS in the Phillies’ system. He missed time because of a left wrist injury in 2014, but also missed time in 2012 and 2013 when he showed up to Spring Training out of shape.
The Phillies have not had a first-round of supplement pick make an impact at the big-league level since Cole Hamels in 2002.
He is feeling discomfort in his elbow again, which is not a good sign after an offseason of rehab. Lee spoke to reporters this morning at Bright House Field, and here is some of what he had to say.
Q: What happened between Thursday’s start in Kissimmee (when he said afterward he felt normal) and the next day, when he felt something in his elbow?
A: The next day I came in and started to do my warmup stuff and felt a little something in the same spot where I felt it last year. Obviously as soon as I felt it I told the trainers and staff. We have an ultrasound machine here. When they did the ultrasound you could still see the injury from last year. As far as I know, that’s normal. They were telling me you’ll always see it in those ultrasounds and MRIs. So they saw that, then they wanted me to get an MRI to make sure it was that. Did that (yesterday). And then, the same thing, they could see the same injury from last year. There’s some mild inflammation around it. That’s really it. I know they were sending the images to (James) Andrews to let him look at it and obviously get a second opinion. He’s arguably the best in the world at stuff like that. (Michael) Ciccotti and him are going to communicate and come up with a plan for what to do. That’s really all I know at this point.
Q: How discouraging is this?
A: Obviously very disappointing with all the stuff I did in the offseason to prevent something like this from happening. It’s frustrating. There’s still a possibility it’s scar tissue and it’s normal but there’s also the possibility it’s coming back and that’s very frustrating. I just know I did everything to prevent it. That’s really all I could do so there’s nothing I look back and say, I should have done this, I should have done that. That’s not the issue. So long as I’m satisfied with how I prepared there’s nothing more I can do.
Q: How daunting would surgery be at this point?
A: Yeah, it’d be six to eight months out. So basically if I have the surgery this season will be done, possibly my career, I guess. I don’t know. We’ll have to see.
Q: Would you be surprised if you went out there today or tomorrow to throw and didn’t feel anything?
A: I would probably anticipate feeling a little something. But you don’t know until you do it. It’s not like it’s a major pain. It’s not like it’s majorly painful right now. It’s just what it felt like at the start of when I started feeling it last year. Knowing what I know now, my body does the same deal, then it’s probably going to come back. But there’s still a chance that it’s scar tissue and it’s normal.
Harang, 36, had his lower back wrapped this morning at Bright House Field, but he said the postponement is a “maintenance” issue related to his pitching mechanics and nothing health related. Harang said he woke up the other day and realized he needed to have a chiropractor adjust his back, which, he said, “is normal for me.”
“Right now the main focus is maintenance stuff to make sure I’m ready,” he said.
Harang, who signed a one-year, $5 million contract in the offseason, said he could start Monday against the Orioles in Sarasota. If that holds he would miss just one turn in the rotation.
Right-hander Kevin Slowey will start tomorrow at George M. Steinbrenner Field.
Chase Utley did not work out with his teammates today and he is not expected to play in at least the first week of Grapefruit League games because of a sprained right ankle, but he said there is no reason to be alarmed.
Utley rolled the ankle in January. It remains visibly swollen.
“I’m making a little progress,” he said. “Obviously I wish it was a little quicker, but I’m trying to be smart about it. It seems like it’s making some progressions every few days. I’d like to get out there as soon as possible.
“There’s no sense in overdoing it and screwing something else up, especially when we have a month until the season starts.”
Nobody could say when Utley might play in a game. Ryne Sandberg said yesterday they would work Utley into a game “down the road.” Ruben Amaro Jr. said Utley would not play “for a little while.”
Utley said he did not participate in today’s workout because a nearly two-hour mandatory domestic violence education program curtailed his daily routine to get his knees and ankle ready for the field. Utley missed most of Spring Training in 2011-12 because of his knees and he works daily to keep those issues at bay.
“There’s a process I go through to get on the field,” he said.
Of course, because of Utley’s health history anytime something happens to him in Spring Training folks wonder if something more might be afoot.
He said no.
“I understand, but my ankle, look at it,” Utley said. “It looks worse than it is. But it’s not like it’s (completely healthy). There’s no point balancing on it or jumping on it. If I start balancing on it and jumping on it, and this isn’t ready, then something else is going to take the brunt of it, and I want to avoid (that). So that’s where we’re at.”
The Phillies said they had interest, but how much is uncertain.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said today the organization had contact with Moncada’s agent until Monday, when MLB.com reported Moncada agreed to a record-breaking $31.5 million contract with the Red Sox.
Did the Phillies offer him a contract?
“I’m not going to get into it,” Amaro said.
Moncada is under 23 and had not played five years in the Cuban professional league, which put him under different amateur guidelines than Cuban outfielder Yasmany Thomas, who signed a $68.5 million deal in December with Arizona. Under Moncada’s guidelines, the Red Sox must pay a 100 penalty because they surpassed their annual international bonus allotment. In essence, they paid $63 million for the 19-year-old prospect.
The Red Sox also cannot spend more than $300,000 on any international player for the next two signing period (2015-16 and 2016-17). Of course, if Moncada lives up to the hype (many compare him to Robinson Cano) he would be worth it.
Brown will open the season as the Phillies right fielder, but with plenty to prove following a poor 2014. He made the 2013 National League All-Star team, but hit just .235 with 10 home runs, 63 RBIs and a .634 OPS in 144 games last season. His OPS ranked 139th out of 147 qualified hitters in baseball.
“I don’t know what they’ve got planned for me, man,” Brown said. “I think I know myself a little better every single year. I looked at last year as a learning experience as well. Even though I had some struggles, I think I ended the season on a decent note.”
Brown citied a poor May for skewing his overall numbers. He hit .146 with a .503 OPS that month. He hit .250 with a .686 OPS after the All-Star break.
If he had posted a .686 OPS the entire season it would have ranked 122nd in baseball.
But Brown is getting a chance to play because the Phillies need to see if he can be the player they saw in 2013, when he hit .272 with 27 homers, 83 RBIs and an .818 OPS. If he is then they know they have a right fielder for the foreseeable future. If not, then they know they need to look elsewhere.
“I really don’t even put that in my mind,” Brown said about his future in Philadelphia. “We’ll see what happens. That’s part of the business as well. All I can do is prepare myself every day to be a Philadelphia Phillie until I get traded.”
Brown returns to right field after the Phillies traded Marlon Byrd to the Reds.
“I’m not even getting into it,” he said, asked if a position change could make him more comfortable on the field. “Wherever I’m at, I’m going to have fun playing, wherever I am on the baseball field. Is it going to get me more comfortable at the plate? I really don’t know. I have a really different mindset this year and that’s going out and having a lot of fun. I know what my ability (is). I’m going to do what I’m (capable of doing).”
Brown said he and his teammates have not been on the “same page” recently. He would not elaborate, other than to say the “Phillie way is playing hard, running balls out, taking the extra base.” He would not say if those players remain in the clubhouse. He only would say he wants to win.
“That’s my biggest goal,” Brown said. “Whether I’m sitting on the bench or playing every single day, it really doesn’t matter. I’m going out there and I’m making sure that I’m going to give my team a chance to win a ballgame.”
Funny, it would seem to be a momentous occasion.
Because when the Phillies traded Rollins to the Dodgers in December for Minor League pitchers Zach Eflin and Tom Windle, Galvis became the organization’s first everyday shortstop other than Rollins since Desi Relaford in 2000. It is a role Rollins held from 2001-14, when he became the greatest shortstop in franchise history and surpassed Mike Schmidt to become the franchise’s hits leader.
No pressure, Freddy.
“Jimmy was Jimmy,” Galvis said. “Jimmy was the man here in Philadelphia. But you have to come here and play baseball. I have to do my game. I don’t have to do Jimmy’s game. I have to do Freddy Galvis’ game and play ball.”
But what kind of game can Galvis bring?
He is fine defensive shortstop, so the pitchers should appreciate him. Ryne Sandberg loves his energy and praises his instincts. But a good glove, enthusiasm and instincts cannot help a hitter at the plate. Galvis has hit a combined .218 with a .621 OPS in 550 plate appearances with the Phillies from 2012-14. He has hit a combined .253 with a .646 OPS in eight Minor League seasons.
Galvis, 25, just hit .250 with 12 doubles, one triple, one home run, 18 RBIs and a .652 OPS in 51 games in Winter Ball in Venezuela.
The Phillies probably would take similar production from Galvis in 2015.
After that he is expected to return to the Phillies’ broadcast booth, where he served last season as a TV color analyst during Sunday home games.
Schmidt’s role could expand this season to Saturday and Sunday home games. Schmidt’s agent is meeting with Comcast SportsNet representatives Monday to try to hash out a new contract.
“I’m already in town,” Schmidt said about broadcasting both weekend home games. “I actually come in town Wednesday and play golf a couple days with sponsors. Why not just do the game Saturday night? So all of them (Saturday home games) once they iron it out. The only thing that would stop it would be negotiating the fee.”
Comcast announced Thursday that Ben Davis has replaced Jamie Moyer as a color analyst in the TV booth. Schmidt and Davis will rejoin Tom McCarthy, Matt Stairs and Gregg Murphy on the TV team.
It has been a question worth asking. Papelbon needs to finish only 48 games this season to automatically vest a $13 million club option for 2016. That should be a cinch, if he is healthy and continues to close. Papelbon has finished no fewer than 52 games each of the previous eight seasons, and has averaged 56.4 games finished in that span.
The option is noteworthy because the Phillies have had problems trying to trade Papelbon because of his salary. He makes $13 million this season, plus the potential for $13 million more in 2016.
Teams do not want to pay that much for a closer.
Many have wondered if the Phillies could simply demote Papelbon for Ken Giles, who had an impressive rookie season last year. The Phillies could say Giles is getting the job as part of a youth movement, which would scuttle Papelbon’s chances at the option.
That would make him more desirable in a trade.
Papelbon said he would be surprised if the Phillies approached him during the season and said they planned to make Giles the closer.
“I think that they know my stance on closing,” he said. “That’s what I am. I’m a closer. I think if the team decides to go that route, then so be it. Then they go that route. I’ll continue my route with this Major League career that I’ve had and move on.”
But again, the Phillies have said that is not happening as long as Papelbon is performing. He has posted 106 saves (seventh-most in baseball) and a 2.45 ERA (16th out of 137 qualifying relievers) in his three seasons in Philadelphia. If the Phillies suddenly pull him despite pitching well, he very well could file a grievance with the Players’ Union.