Results tagged ‘ Chad Gaudin ’
Six of the eight can play in the outfield, including Jeff Francoeur.
Each player will be in Spring Training as a non-roster invitee.
The group includes:
- Andres Blanco, INF. Blanco, 30, hit .277 in 25 games for the Phillies last season. He played 10 games at third base, six at shortstop and five at second base.
- Brian Bogusevic, OF. Bogusevic, 30, hit .260 with six home runs and 33 RBIs in 79 games with Triple-A New Orleans. He missed nearly two months because of two separate fractures in his right leg. He played 299 games over four seasons (2010-13) with the Astros and Cubs, hitting .236 with 17 home runs, 62 RBIs, 22 stolen bases and a .682 OPS.
- Russ Canzler, INF/OF. Canzler, 28, split last season between Triple-A Lehigh Valley and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, hitting a combined .276 with 32 doubles, 13 home runs and 58 RBIs in 112 games. He played 29 games between the Rays (2011) and Indians (2012), hitting .271 with three home runs, 12 RBIs and a .700 OPS.
- Chase d’Arnaud, INF/OF. – D’Arnaud, 27, played second base, third base and all three outfield positions last season with Triple-A Indianapolis. He hit .250 with 16 doubles, nine triples, two home runs, 23 RBIs and 30 stolen bases. He has appeared in 64 big-league games with the Pirates, hitting .208 with a .507 OPS.
- Jeff Francoeur, OF. – Francoeur, 30, has hit .262 with 250 doubles, 140 home runs and 619 RBIs in 1,237 games in the big leagues. He appeared in 10 games last season for the Padres. He has has played for the Braves (2005-09), Mets (2009-10), Rangers (2010), Royals (2011-13), Giants (2013) and Padres (2014).
- John Hester, C. Hester, 31, hit .261 with six home runs and 29 RBIs in 71 games with Triple-A Salt Lake. He has appeared in 93 games for the Diamondbacks (2009-10) and Angels (2012-13).
- Darin Mastroianni, OF. Mastroianni, 29, split last season between the Twins and Blue Jays organizations. He played 92 Triple-A games between Rochester and Buffalo, hitting a combined .277 with 20 doubles, one triple, five home runs, 23 RBIs and 20 stolen bases. He appeared in 129 games with the Blue Jays and Twins, hitting .212 with a .564 OPS.
- Xavier Paul, OF. – Paul, 29, played in 14 games last season for the Diamondbacks. In 349 career big-league games, Paul hit .250 with 12 home runs, 71 RBIs and a .679 OPS over six seasons with the Dodgers, Pirates, Reds and Diamondbacks.
The Phillies released right-hander Chad Gaudin after he failed his physical.
“We didn’t feel comfortable with the exam yesterday, so we decided to let him go,” Ruben Amaro Jr. said.
The Phillies signed Gaudin to a Minor League contract. He had a good chance to make the team as a swing man, but now the Phillies must find somebody else for that role.
“It hurts,” Amaro said. “The roles he could fill as a long guy that can sit around for 10 days and not pitch then pitch as a starter … all those things you’d like a veteran guy to do. We’re going to have to find out if that guys in our camp.”
The Phillies added another arm to their pitching staff today when they signed right-hander Chad Gaudin to a Minor League contract.
He will be in big-league camp this spring.
Gaudin, 30, went 5-2 with a 3.06 ERA in 30 appearances (12 starts) last season with the Giants. He opened the season in the bullpen, posting a 2.05 ERA in 18 relief appearances, before finishing the season in the rotation, where he went 5-1 with a 3.53 ERA before finishing his season on the disabled list with carpal tunnel syndrome.
Gaudin gives the Phillies more flexibility and versatility with his ability to pitch in both the bullpen and rotation.
He is 45-44 with a 4.44 ERA in 344 appearances (87 starts) in his big-league career.