Results tagged ‘ Jamie Garcia ’
A few thoughts before the Phillies open a nine-game homestand tonight against the Rockies:
- The Phillies have a four-game losing streak, exactly the thing Charlie Manuel thought he wouldn’t have before the season started. But when the offense hits .142 (17-for-120) with a .224 on-base percentage and a .200 slugging percentage over four games you’re going to lose, no matter how good the pitching is.
- The Phillies could use a jolt, but Chase Utley won’t provide it tonight. He’ll be in Clearwater getting at-bats for the Threshers. But this nine-game homestand runs through May 26. Utley has to be activated no later than May 30, if the Phillies think he is healthy, which means there is a good chance we see him before the Phillies hit the road again.
- Shane Victorino thought his injured hamstring would be fine by tonight, but it sounds like it isn’t there yet if the Phillies are talking about a MRI.
- Domonic Brown returned to the lineup last night with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He went 1-for-2 with two RBIs and two walks. Like I’ve said, if Brown keeps hitting the ball like he has and the Phillies’ corner outfielders continue to struggle, I think we’ll see Brown sooner rather than later.
- Not that it will make you feel any better, but according to Elias Sports Bureau, Cardinals pitcher Jamie Garcia is the first pitcher to throw 30 or more innings and allow no more than one earned run in his first four home starts in a season since Roger Clemens in 1991. Clemens allowed just one earned run through his first 32 innings at Fenway Park.