Results tagged ‘ John Suomi ’
The Phillies re-assigned 14 players to Minor League camp today:
Pitchers: Phillippe Aumont, Yohan Flande, Scott Mathieson, Drew Naylor, J.C. Ramirez, Jesus Sanchez, Joe Savery and Bill White.
Catchers: Tuffy Gosewisch, Kevin Nelson and John Suomi.
Infielders: Freddy Galvis.
Outfielders: Quintin Berry and Tyson Gillies.
Some people thought Mathieson might have a chance to win a job in the bullpen, but Ruben Amaro Jr., Charlie Manuel and Rich Dubee stressed early in camp that Mathieson needed innings, and needed to work on his secondary pitches. He’ll get that opportunity in the Minors. But I still think the Phillies could have Mathieson on their roster this season, if he shows enough improvement. They still love his arm.
Aumont, Gillies and Ramirez came to the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade, but none of them had any illusions about making the club. Aumont heads to Minor League camp working on a new/old delivery. Gillies heads to Minor League camp trying to slow things down at the plate.
“I’m leaving on a good note,” Aumont said. “I got some experience. I’ll go down there, get that pitch count up and get my arm ready for the season. I’m actually excited about it. It was all at once (the new delivery). It was kind of shaky a little bit at the beginning, but I guess that’s why the Minor Leagues are there.”
“It was a great experience for me,” Gillies said. “Being able to see the way these superstars go about their business was really exciting, watching how they prepare every day, seeing their daily routines. I learned the things I need to be successful, and where consistency starts. Charlie told me the things I need to work on, slowing things down. Slower. Slower when I’m hitting. He wants me to be slow with the feet, and quick with the hands. Basically just stay back a little bit more. Keep my hands and everything back and try not to lunge at everything. Let the ball come to me.”
The Phillies announced today they had invited 13 more non-roster invitees to Spring Training:
- Phillippe Aumont, RHP. Acquired in the Cliff Lee trade, Aumont split last season between Single-A High Desert and Double-A West Tennessee, where he went a combined 2-6 with a 3.88 ERA, 16 saves and 59 strikeouts in 51 innings (44 games).
- Domonic Brown, OF. The organization’s top prospect.
- Ozzie Chavez, INF. He hit .259 with 34 RBIs last season with Double-A Reading.
- Freddy Galvis, SS. Galvis hit .247 with 15 RBIs in 63 games at Single-A Clearwater. He missed time in May because of a fractured right ring finger. He finished the season with Reading.
- Tyson Gillies, OF. Gillies also arrived from Seattle in the Lee trade. He hit .341 with 50 extra-base hits and 42 RBIs in 124 games for High Desert. He led all Mariners Minor Leaguers with 44 stolen bases.
- Tuffy Gosewisch, C. He hit .235 with 21 RBIs in 76 games with Reading and Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Kevin Nelson, C. Nelson spent most of last season with Reading. He set career highs in games (53), hits (40), home runs (9) and RBIs (27).
- B.J. Rosenberg, RHP. He pitched for Single-A Lakewood and Reading. He went 7-2 with a 0.89 ERA and 19 saves in 37 appearances for Lakewood, earning South Atlantic League All-Star honors.
- Dane Sardinha, C. Split last season between Triple-A Toledo and the Detroit Tigers. He hit .097 with three RBIs in 12 games for the Tigers.
- Joe Savery, LHP. The Phillies’ first-round pick in 2007 went 16-6 with a 4.40 ERA in 28 games (27 starts) with Reading and Lehigh Valley.
- John Suomi, C. Spent last season in Kansas City’s Minor League system. In 60 games with Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha, he hit .246 with eight home runs and 25 RBIs.
- Ryan Vogelsong, RHP. Vogelsong, 32, has not pitched professionally in the United States since 2006. He spent the past three years pitching in Japan for the Hanshin Tigers (2007-08) and Orix Buffaloes (2009).
- Ehren Wasserman, RHP. He went 7-3 with a 3.68 ERA in 43 appearances last season with Triple-A Charlotte. In the big leagues, he is 2-3 with a 5.06 ERA in 57 games with the White Sox (2007-08).