Results tagged ‘ Jose Contreras ’
Passing along a few tidbits from Ruben Amaro Jr.:
- The Phillies are looking for more starting pitching depth, but if they find somebody it would be on a Minor League deal. “It’s a possibility,” Amaro said. “At some point you’ve got to see what you’ve got. We’re probably as close to that stage as we’ve been all offseason. While I guess we’re not necessarily satisfied with where we are — we’re never satisfied — we’re comfortable with going into the spring with who we’ve got. We’ll kind of let things play out.”
- J.C. Romero and Brad Lidge have started throwing. Jamie Moyer could begin throwing soon, too. Amaro had said for some time that Lidge is ahead of Romero, but Romero started to throw on the 17th. Lidge started to throw earlier this week, so it sounds like they might be even. “So far so good,” Amaro said about Lidge and Romero. “No news is good news on those guys.”
- Moyer has told the Phillies he thinks he will be ready by Opening Day. The medical staff has a more conservative timetable.
- Roy Halladay has been arriving every morning around 7 a.m. at Bright House Field in Clearwater to begin his workouts. Amaro said the training staff is raving about his workout routine. I think the word “animal” and “monster” is being used a lot. (These are not words people use to describe my workout routine.)
- Amaro still will not confirm the Phillies are close to signing Jose Contreras, which could be announced as early as today. Of course, that really does not matter because Charlie Manuel confirmed it during Tuesday’s news conference. It was actually a pretty funny moment. (Well, funny to the scribes.) The Phillies cannot comment or confirm Contreras because he has not passed his physical. Of course, Manuel did not know this so he talked about him like he had signed. No worries, the world is still spinning.