Results tagged ‘ Matt Miller ’
The Phillies locked up Charlie Manuel through 2013 when he signed a two-year contract extension yesterday.
Ruben Amaro Jr. is next.
Sources indicated today the Phillies and Amaro are close to a multiyear extension. An announcement could come in the next couple days.
Amaro, 46, replaced Pat Gillick as general manager following the 2008 World Series championship. He previously served as assistant general manager for 10 years under Ed Wade and Gillick.
The Phillies made their first Spring Training roster moves today, optioning or reassigning 16 players to Minor League camp.
The number quickly dropped to 15 when the Phillies reassigned Robb Quinlan and his agent asked for his release. The Phillies granted it.
The Phillies also reassigned right-handers Brian Bass, Eddie Bonine, Andrew Carpenter and Michael Schwimer; left-hander Ryan Feierabend; catcher Joel Naughton; infielders Tagg Bozied and Quinlan; and outfielder Matt Miller.
The Phillies optioned seven players to Minor League camp: right-handers Justin De Fratus, Drew Naylor and J.C. Ramirez; infielders Harold Garcia, Cesar Hernandez, Carlos Rivero and Matt Rizzotti.
The Phillies are taking a little longer look at right-hander Michael Stutes, who has pitched well this spring. He has a 1.50 ERA in four Grapefruit League appearances. Opponents have hit .143 against him. The only other non-roster invitees still in big-league camp are left-handers Dan Meyer and Juan Perez. Meyer has a .600 ERA in three appearances, although opponents have hit .182 against him. Perez has a 3.00 ERA in three appearances, and opponents have hit just .077 against him.
The Phillies are looking for a second left-hander to pitch in the bullpen. They currently only have J.C. Romero.
The Phillies have invited 12 players to Spring Training as non-roster invitees. Here are their names and bios from a Phillies press release:
- Josh Barfield, INF … Barfield, 27, spent last season with triple-A Portland in the San Diego Padres organization where he batted .294 with five home runs and 36 RBI in 78 games. For his major league career, he has hit .264 with 16 home runs and 112 RBI in 309 games between the Padres (2006) and Cleveland Indians (2007-09). Barfield’s father, Jesse, spent 12 seasons in the majors between the Blue Jays and Yankees from 1981-92.
- Eddie Bonine, RHP … The 29-year-old Bonine spent his first full season in the major leagues with Detroit where he went 4-1 with a 4.63 ERA in 47 appearances (one start). A Rule 5 draft selection of the Tigers in 2005, Bonine set career highs in wins, appearances and innings (68.0) in 2010. In 62 career appearances in the majors, he has posted a 7-3 record with a 4.74 ERA.
- Tagg Bozied, INF/OF … In 104 games for double-A Reading last season, Bozied, 31, batted .315 and led all Phillies minor leaguers with 27 home runs and 92 RBI. The Eastern League All-Star also led the league in batting average, on-base percentage (.402) and slugging percentage (.631). Bozied appeared at both first and third base as well as left and right field for Reading.
- Ryan Feierabend, LHP … Feierabend, 25, spent last season between three levels of the Seattle Mariners organization after missing the entire 2009 season due to “Tommy John” surgery. In 2010, he appeared in 25 games (24 starts) and went 5-8 with a 5.14 ERA between triple-A Tacoma, double-A West Tennessee and single-A High Desert. Feierabend has appeared in 25 major league games (19 starts), all for Seattle (2006-08).
- Erik Kratz, C … In 70 games last season for triple-A Indianapolis in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization, Kratz, 30, hit .274 with nine home runs and 41 RBI. The native of Telford, PA, batted .336 over a 36-game span in May and June to earn a promotion to Pittsburgh in July. Kratz collected two hits in his big league debut, July 17 against Houston.