Results tagged ‘ Sausage Race ’
I picked the Polish sausage to win last night’s famous Sausage Race in Milwaukee, but then Pete Orr had to run into the middle of the group and knock Polish off its stride.
Orr had just been in the bathroom, cleaning mud from his hands when he grabbed his glove and darted onto the field in the middle of the sixth inning. He never saw the sausages coming. He pulled a Matrix move, slipping between the Polish and Italian before colliding with the hot dog.
“Straight panic,” Orr said. “I froze. Then I just tried to get skinny.”
“How won the race?” Ryan Howard asked as reporters spoke to Orr.
“Italian,” I said. “I picked Polish.”
“I had the Polish too!” Howard replied. “Thanks, Pete.”
Yes. Thanks, Pete.
It’s late in Milwaukee, which means I might have to hit up a George Webb on the way home.
But first a few notes about the Phillies’ 4-2 victory last night over the Brewers:
- The Phillies have won 11 of their last 14 games.
- They are 23-13, which is the best record in the National League.
- They swept the Brewers for the first time at Miller Park since 2004.
- Cole Hamels allowed two runs in 6 2/3 innings. He is 2-0 with a 2.75 ERA in his last three starts. “I feel like I’ve come a long way with making the adjustments, getting used to the new pitches and just trying to attack,” Hamels said. “Trying to make the hitters, attacking, attacking, attacking. Knowing to back off, knowing to hit my spots, knowing when to go up and down, I think I’ve finally been able to figure it out. I think that’s just kind of something you have to be able to do over and over.”
- J.C. Romero picked up his first save since July 10, 2008.
- The Brewers retired the Phillies in order just four times in the entire series.
- The Phillies’ 7-8-9 hitters hit .353 (12-for-34) with 11 runs scored and four RBIs. “The top six guys in this lineup are really good,” said Paul Hoover, who hit .500 (5-for-10) with two doubles, two RBIs and six runs scored in the series. “It’s unfortunate for the team that Jimmy (Rollins) and Juan (Castro) are a little banged up and Brian (Schneider) and Carlos (Ruiz) are a little banged up, but we’re just trying to come here and contribute the best way we can.”
- Shane Victorino hit .533 (8-for-15) with a home run, seven RBIs and four runs scored against the Brewers.
- The Phillies are 13-7 on the road, which is the best mark in the National League.
- I went 2 of 3 in the famous Sausage Race. I correctly picked Polish on Friday and Hot Dog on Sunday. Picked Hot Dog on Saturday, but he finished a close second to Polish.