Results tagged ‘ schedule ’
They open the season on the road against the Rangers. They finish the season at home against the Braves.
Major League Baseball announced the 2012 schedule today.
I know, let’s get this 2011 season over with already, amiright?
Ha, I actually like figuring out where I’ll be going next season. And I’m happy to see one of those road trips takes me back to Minnesota, where I went to college.
Ya, I went to the U, you betcha.
Some highlights of the Phillies’ 2012 schedule:
- Open the season April 5 in Pittsburgh.
- Open the season at home April 9 against Miami (they’re not Florida anymore).
- Have a 10-game road trip through San Francisco, San Diego and Arizona from April 16-25.
- Host the Red Sox in May.
- Take a road trip June 8-17 through Baltimore, Minnesota and Toronto.
- Host the Rays during a 10-game homestand in June.
- Play in Miami’s new stadium for the first time June 29-July 1.
- Finish the season in October in Washington.
The Phillies had a relatively easy road the first five-plus weeks of the season. They played just five of their first 30 games against teams with winning records as they prepare to play the Florida Marlins tonight in Miami.
But things are going to get tougher. The Phillies are in the beginning of a 20-game stretch against teams with only winning records:
- 3 vs. Atlanta (lost 2 of 3 this weekend)
- 3 at Florida
- 3 at Atlanta
- 2 at St. Louis
- 2 vs. Colorado
- 3 vs. Texas
- 4 vs. Cincinnati
They do not play another team with a losing record until they play the Mets in New York on May 27-29.
Ruben Amaro Jr. has signed a four-year contract extension with the Phillies. There will be a 10 a.m. news conference today at Bright House Field.
“Since becoming our general manager in November of 2008, Ruben has done an outstanding job,” Phillies president David Montgomery said in a statement. “He has been an excellent leader for our baseball operations personnel, surrounding himself with a very capable staff which he uses very well. Ruben has shown great judgment in his player moves and enjoys a strong relationship with Charlie, our coaches and the players.”
The Phillies have a split squad today. Here are the lineups:
- Home vs. Tampa Bay: Jimmy Rollins SS, Shane Victorino CF, Placido Polanco 3B, Ben Francisco LF, Delwyn Young RF, Carlos Ruiz C, Matt Miller DH, Jim Murphy 1B, Michael Martinez 2B.
- Road vs. Pittsburgh: Pete Orr 2B, Ross Gload DH, Raul Ibanez LF, Ryan Howard 1B, Brandon Moss RF, John Mayberry Jr. CF, Wilson Valdez 3B, Erik Kratz C, Freddy Galvis SS.
The Braves have a three-game lead over the Phillies in the National League East. Both teams have 29 games to play.
Who has the easiest road to the division title?
Let’s take a look (teams in bold have a winning record):
Upcoming schedule: 1 game @ Rockies, 3 games vs. Brewers, 4 games vs. Marlins, 3 games @ Mets, 3 games @ Marlins, 3 games vs. Nationals, 3 games vs. Braves, 3 games vs. Mets, 3 games @ Nationals, 3 games @ Braves. That’s 16 games at home, 13 on the road, 14 against winning teams and 15 against losing teams.
Upcoming schedule: 1 game vs. Mets, 3 games @ Marlins, 3 games @ Pirates; 4 games vs. Cardinals, 3 games vs. Nationals, 3 games @ Mets, 3 games @ Phillies, 3 games @ Nationals, 3 games vs. Marlins, 3 games vs. Phillies. That’s 14 games at home, 15 on the road, 16 games vs. winning teams and 13 against losing teams.
The Phillies have two more home games and play two fewer games against winning teams. That’s not much of an advantage, if any.
The Phillies only play teams in the division following this weekend’s series against the Brewers at Citizens Bank Park. The Phillies are 5-7 against the Braves this season. They are 6-6 against the Mets, who they play six times, 7-5 against the Nationals, who they play six times, and 7-4 against the Marlins, who they play seven times.
Let’s take a short break from 2009 to take a look at the 2010 Phillies schedule, which Major League Baseball released today:
- The Phillies open their season April 5 in Washington.
- They play their home opener April 12 against the Nationals.
- They host the Boston Red Sox from May 21-23. They play the Red Sox and New York Yankees on the road June 11-17. They host the Minnesota Twins and Cleveland Indians at Citizens Bank Park from June 18-24 before playing the Blue Jays in Toronto from June 25-27.
- The Phillies have 10-game homestands April 30-May 9 against the New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals and Atlanta Braves and Aug. 17-26 against the San Francisco Giants, Nationals and Houston Astros.
- They play 15 of 22 games on the road in April.
- They play their final 24 games against the National League East. They have a nine-game homestand against the Nationals, Braves and Mets from Sept. 17-26 before finishing the season with a six-game road trip against the Nationals and Braves from Sept. 27-Oct. 3.