Results tagged ‘ statistics ’
It’s Monday morning. You probably don’t want to be at work, so let’s ease into the week with some Phillies numbers that might get you thinking a little bit.
- The Phillies lead the National League in scoring with 665 runs, despite playing at least two fewer games than most teams in the league. They are averaging 5.20 runs per game. No other team has averaged more than 4.99 runs per game.
- The Phillies lead the league with 185 home runs. The Rockies are second with 153.
- Despite those home runs, the Phillies rank just eighth with 925 strikeouts. That’s a strikeout every 5.46 plate appearances, which ranks seventh.
- Their 1.08 groundball-to-flyball ratio is last in the league.
- Their five bunt hits are last in the league.
- They take 57.4 percent of their pitches, which is the second highest percentage in the league. They put 18.4 percent of their pitches in play, which is tied for ninth. The swing at only 20.9 percent of their first pitches, which is the lowest percentage in the league.
- They are last in singles with 684, but first in extra-base hits with 463.
- That explains why they are tied for 10th in hitting (.259) and eighth in on-base percentage (.336), but are first with a .452 slugging percentage.
- They are fifth in the league with 3.86 pitches per plate appearance.
- They are fifth with 89 stolen bases, but first with an 8.17 stolen base percentage. They have stolen third base 17 times, which is tied with the Diamondbacks for the league lead.
- Their 4.15 ERA is sixth in the league.
- Opponents have hit .263 against them, which is eighth.
- They are sixth with 34 saves. They are tied for fifth with 18 blown saves. Their 65.4 save completion percentage is seventh.
- Their 150.7 pitches per game are fourth.
- Their 12.61 baserunners per nine innings are seventh fewest. Their 7.07 strikeouts per nine innings are ninth. Their 3.13 walks per nine innings are second fewest. Their 1.23 homers per nine innings are second worst.
- The Phillies have 60 errors. Only the Pirates (55) have fewer.
- Their .987 fielding percentage ranks third.