Results tagged ‘ streak ’
There’s been a lot of talk about small ball and manufacturing runs lately, but Charlie Manuel couldn’t have been more pleased to see Placido Polanco hit a three-run homer yesterday in a 4-3 victory over the Brewers.
The victory snapped a two-game losing streak.
Polanco and Shane Victorino got the big hits, but the Phillies pitched well. You have to think the Phillies won’t have too many extended losing streaks this season because of the pitching. The Phillies had eight losing streaks of three games or more last season. They had a season-high five-game losing streak May 22-27. Of course, that streak had nothing to do with pitching and everything to do with four shutout losses. But assuming that doesn’t happen again, it’s tough to see them losing five-straight games.
If the over/under on the team’s longest losing streak this season is 4 1/2 games what are you taking?
In San Diego. If you’ve got a good lunch spot in the city let me know.
A few things to ponder following last night’s 12-11 victory over the Rockies at Coors Field:
- The Phillies are 28-12 (.700) since a July 21 loss to the Cardinals. That’s the best record in baseball.
- The Braves are 23-17 (.575), which is the eighth-best record in baseball. That’s why the Phillies have made up only five games in the National League East standings. If anything, we’ve learned the Braves are not the 2010 version of the ’07 and ’08 Mets. The Phillies will need to keep playing well to catch Atlanta.
- Chase Utley and Ryan Howard seem to be emerging from their slumps. Utley has hit .538 (7 for 13) with three doubles, one home run, eight RBIs and one stolen base in the last three games. Howard has hit .250 (3 for 12) with a double, two home runs, five RBIs, two walks and three strikeouts in the last three games.
- The Phillies went 6-1 (.857) on their seven-game road trip through San Diego, Los Angeles and Colorado. According to the Phillies’ media guide it ties for the fourth-best road trip in franchise history. They had a 7-0 trip against the Pirates and Mets in 1968, a 6-0 trip against the Boston Braves and Giants in 1915 and a 7-1 trip against the Expos, Cardinals and Cubs in 1983.
- The Phillies have a 3.01 ERA since July 21, which is tied with the Astros for the best ERA in baseball.
- The offense has averaged 4.86 runs per game, which ranks 10th in baseball and sixth in the National League.